cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

when it rains it pours - - -

Well you all know how exciting my life gets w/medical issues.  Last night Ronnie went out for chores with Brian and was on top of a 15' stack of straw, going to throw a bale down.  The bale he was standing on  broke it's strings, and down he fell on his head & neck, I guess.  Brian saw him go down but didn't get to him right away.  He remembered nothing about his day; only what he ate for breakfast & lunch.  Not a clue to the day or what he had been doing prior.  Trip to the ER of course and he got anti nausea medication and CT scan.  No broken bones; just a concusion.  Very stoved up today and sore head, jaw & neck.  At the same time I was loading him up in the van, my mom called, sick as a dog-"I need you".

I promised to get back to her (it was 11:30 tho when I got home).  Terribly torn.  No one to call on. Boys were doing chores for us and DIL was getting kids supper & bed.  Went with Ronnie as I felt his issue was more pertinent.

Then this morning we had to be at the hospital again for Brian to receive his first round of chemo pills.  We had 45 min. of instructions & I asked what about blood work?  NP assured me in two weeks we would get some done.  Hmm, no baseline?  Anyway, my new phone (##!!%) wasn't turned up loud enough to hear it and we went on home only to find a message to come back for blood work.  She forgot.  3 trips to the hospital in 12 hrs. time.  Ran up to mom's twice through all this scenario.  She does so very well when she is healthy.  but when she has these colitis issues, she is so needy and feeble.  Being alone is difficult and she fell also buggering up the side of her face. 

Well, that's my day.  Sure hope Brian does OK with the meds and mom heals.  Hopefully no one else here has such a day.  I'm ready to turn the page here.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: when it rains it pours - - -

Linda, I wish I lived close enough to help you with some of this....

Surely, you have someone - a friend or DIL, or even an on-call home healthcare person - who you could call on to handle a run to your Mom's, while you are dealing with Brian's treatments, at least.

I am sorry about Ronnie's fall...it is very frightening when we see our rock down for the count.  Watch him for a few days...that sort of short-term memory loss can take a while to ckear after a lick like that.  

What you had yesterday is what I call a bottleneck.  It is a tight spot where yiu just cannot posdibky squeeze it all in.  Sometimes, we have to do realize what my dear Aunt Lu used to say:I can't do it all, and do it all well.  

You do a great job, but it is physically impossible to be in two places at once.  All that driving late at night with short rest puts you at risk, too.  Please be careful.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How are things now?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ronnie still is a bit under the weather; head & neck tender.  Brian has not gotten sick, bathroom issues which is a listed side affect.  Mom still has her colitis problem.  Too bad she & Brian can't split problems.  I will need to call Dr. tomorrow for her.  Feel like I am a nurse doling out medication & figuring timings for them.  Tomorrow night last night of Brian's first round of chemotherapy meds, then 3 weeks off.  Yay.  So we are doing fine! 

0 Kudos