cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

wild on the homefront

The last couple days have really been wild. 

Calves and bull got out together on the pasture-roundup in the dark, fun.

Bull (not mean or wild, just big) tore off siding on the freestall barn.

Up to take kids in thunderstorm to school, off to therapy as soon as I got home, met mom to shop & take to ear dr., then home to whip up supper and take my turn to go to DGD's dance class & home at 9:30 p.m.

Came home to big puddle on kitchen floor last night & water dripping between addition.  Towels & bucket in order.

Up this morning to clean up basement for dryer installation, Genreator guy came, State Inspector (we missed Federal), feed rep., dryer delivery & rude telephone farm soliciter all before noon. 

Forgot, no furnace this morning.  BIRDS in chimney AGAIN!!!

Totally pooped & brain toasted.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: wild on the homefront

Bird nests in the chimney flu are stuck TIGHT.  We are using everything we can think of to dislodge.

Meanwhile I've been on phone 5 different times about my telephone payment I made through the bank e-payment that the telephone company never got.  It came out of my account though.  Back & forth to Fronteir & bank as they won't take a fax # at the bank to send verification of payment.  Aaaargh!!!  There are days it definitely doesn't pay to get out of bed.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

You are sure getting more than you share this week, it has to get better.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Linda, maybe a dumb question, but when you clean the chimney this time, why not install one of those caps the exclude birds and other varmints. It is one of the first things we do on any building we acquire, if it has a chimney.

Guess I had one too many experiences with swallows and bats in the chimney as a kid. Spooky sound....

As for the rest of your day...I was just reading and shaking my head. You need to print out that post, and save it, for whenever someone says you are " lucky you don't have to work".

People who do not know what women do in a family farming operation haven't got a clue, have they?

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

We originally had a chimney cap on it with screening & they somehow got pecked through it which is how they got in there.  We also need the chimney tuckpointed because they try & get nests made between the chimney & wall of the house.  They are very aggresive.  They've pecked through 2 different screens in DS's room which is beside the chimney.  DH is ready to sit out there with a pellet gun. 

On the chimney  tuckpointing.  DH will not call anyone in to do it.  HE will take care of it.  In his spare time.  LOL

Been waiting at least 2 yrs. for that.

0 Kudos