cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

wrist update

Hesitate to post on this; don't want to be venting or asking for sympathy. 

Wrist is healing very well but due to the arthritis I still have swelling and stiffness.  The big issue is that there seems to be nerve issues which look like RSD which stands for reflex sympathic dystrophy.  I have hypersensitivity (can't stand to have anything touch my wrist-nerves there are "on fire") , skin mottling, hand feels prickly/stinging, and is hot & sweaty.  This can be due to several issues such as fractures or surgery.  There is no cure but early diagnosis & medication can help.  I don't have a lot of pain with it, thank God, such as some have.  They just put me on Lyrica which takes a couple weeks to build up with.  I start out with it at night only and then add a.m. dose.  It seems to help a little even though I've only had 2 pills.  Nights are the worse which I've heard can be typical.  I cannot let the underside of my arm touch anything so resting without it coming in contact has been difficult

The therapy is coming along although stiffness comes back after a short time so I'm really diligent about doing my stretches, etc. several times a day.  Hopefully the Lyrica will not throw side affects at me and help.  It could just be a short term condition from the surgery.  Went to the barn for milking of one group last night-need to keep my hand active and it didn't really hurt.  Keeps me from thinking about every little twinge & pain. 

This season of Lent has certainly had me carrying a cross but it could be much much worse & I'm grateful for that.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: wrist update

Linda, I send a good thought your way every day.

You have worked so hard to follow through on your recovery. I will continue to hope for your full return to health. If it takes medication, then go for it.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear this. I do hope the meds begin to really work for you. Seems like a long time ago when you broke it. I will be saying prayers for you.

I have two weeks to go before seeing the surgeon and hope it is good news so I can begin putting weight on my leg.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Are you on  a walker, crutches, or a wheelchair? 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Turkey, will  you do therapy after you get out of the wheel chair?  I go 3 x's a week.  Really putting the miles on the van.  Know every pot hole on I-80.  LOL  Hope you get good news.  BTW I broke it Jan 16.  Today the therapist was very pleased with my progress as far as my hand/wrist movement.  She told me 2 wks ago she was really worried about me.  Hopefully I will progress in that area.

Between going to therapy & doing exercises/stretches 3 x's/day it keeps you busy.  Unfortunately these hand exercises aren't doing anything to keep the pounds off.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I understand the time this all takes.

I am in a wheel chair and I also use a walker for the bathroom and bedroom. I am restricted to just toe-touch for balance on the broken leg. The walker gives me more excerise. I am getting PT in-home for now but I expect that will change after the doctor releases me. I am sure I will need more. I have been this route before with the hip replacement and going for therapy gets expensive and old. But it does work.

0 Kudos