cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brenda Frketich '06: Dirt Girl

Brenda_Frketich
Senior Reader
0 0 2,285

Happy Thanksgiving!  I wanted to write to tell everyone to have a wonderful start to the holiday season.  Personally I love this time of year because it means life on the farm is slowing down just a bit.  There is never really an "off season" for farming.  Let's just say there is always equipment to fix, something to weaetherize, field to walk or pest to control.  But at least this time of year time is also filled with being thankful for all the wonderful things in your life.  All the blessings that just keep popping up!

One new exciting development that I want to share is an article that will be coming out soon in my Loyola Marymount Alumni magazine.  You see when I went off to school down in sunny Los Angeles, little did I realize that it would ultimately land me right back where I started in this small little town.  And you can be pretty safe in saying that not many graduates come out of LMU and head right on back to the dirt that they came from to put their business degree to use.  So I wanted to share with you, just a small preview of the article that will featured in the next issue of the LMU Magazine.

Brenda Frketich '06: Dirt Girl

I am thankful to a great photographer that came up and spent quite a few hours in a tractor and out in that same dirt that we call home.  Plus a very talented writer who came out and just seemed to really "get" the whole farming life and all the great aspects that came along with it.  I will share when the actual arctile comes out as well, but until then, thank you Jon & Marc...and thank you LMU.  What a great (although unconventional for farming) start to my life in the real world.

About the Author
Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.