Harvest Recap

Brenda_Frketich
Senior Reader
0 0 1,047

I haven't posted too many "about our farm" posts lately.  So I thought I would recap all of harvest.  My excuse is that I had an infant this year during this busy season, which made it pretty hectic to get our lives together for any period of time long enough to actually type a blog post.  I have kept up a little more on my personal blog, NuttyGrass which you can see here.

We harvested 5 crops this summer.  The only crop that we have left this year is our hazelnuts, which will be harvested this fall, usually late sSeptember, early October.  Our peas are for freezer peas, from our crop alone we harvested enough peas to fill 350,000 bags that will go into freezers everywhere.

2013-06-13_11-51-21_603.jpg

2013-06-13_12-00-50_0.jpg

Our crimson clover was harvested in early July, along with tall fescue and finally followed by our last grass seed crop, perennial ryegrass.  We grow a lot of seeds in this area.  One reason is our mild climate, and fairly consistent climate as well.  And in the farming business, weather is huge determination of what you can and cannot grow in different areas.

Wheat was our final crop this summer, which is also for seed.  I also finally got to get on the combine and get some driving time!  One of the things I miss most is being able to be out and driving tractor as much as I used to. 

img_1739.jpg

I wasn't alone though, the family came to visit and Hoot got his first of many many days out in the field.  The wheat we harvested, if not going for seed, could make enough bread for over 7 million peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches!

It's been a good harvest summer.  Now we are working ground to get ready for fall planting, and prepping orchards for hazelnut harvest.  Stay tuned for more updates!

About the Author
Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.