cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure 92 after standing up

Brenda_Frketich
Senior Reader
0 0 2,472

I thought I would post something after all the drama of measure 92 had passed, but it's looking like that might be a bit longer than I had anticipated.  We are headed to a recount that will be done by hand, to see if the 800 votes that the measure went down by will hold. 

So even though I don't know quite yet if this campaign, No on 92, was a success I have to say that I don't regret the time that was spent not just by me, but also by my family, and our industry in trying to defeat this measure here in Oregon.  If you're not familiar, Measure 92 in Oregon was a GMO labeling initiative that if passed would have mandated products in Oregon be labeled if they contained GMO's.  I've talked about my opinions on this issue on my personal blog:
Measure 92, GMO Labeling

But on this blog I want to talk about putting yourself out there for a cause.  By standing up and saying that this isn't right and this is going to hurt our state and our industry here in Oregon!  My husband and I both had commercials out saying just that.  And it hasn't been easy being that public about what we believe.  We have gotten hate mail, been cussed out, yelled at...and sometimes it does bring us down.  Mostly though it makes us chuckle, because for every one of those hate letters we have also gotten a lot of emails and thank yous from farmers who we know and trust.  Thanking us for standing up, for being a face for our industry in times when it needs it the most.

People say they want transparency, and that is what we give them.  But it comes with opinions that may differ from theirs at times, it comes from putting it all on the line every year for a crop that you hope comes through, it comes from the soil that we take care of every day, and it comes from the realities that we face as farmers.  Realities that no blog could ever truly capture fully to someone who hasn't seen their field get eaten by slugs in 3 days, who hasn't lost tens of thousands of dollars because they made the wrong call and the weather changed.  So thank you to those who have respected us enough to let us have our opinion, and to those who still feel the need to yell and cuss, go for it, because we're taking it truly at entertainment value at this point.  But standing up is important, when opportunities arise you have to fight for your industry.  My grandpa's legacy better not end with my generation, and I'm doing all I can to make sure that's the case.

About the Author
Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.