Merry Christmas!

Brenda_Frketich
Senior Reader
0 0 2,463

Most people have their funny and sometimes weird Christmas traditions.  And we are no different, Grandma's strawberry Jell-O (don't scoff, it's incredible!) is one that comes to mind, along with PJs, pinot, and prime rib for Christmas dinner at my parent's house.  So a few years ago, my husband Matt and I started our own tradition.  Since we didn't have kids yet, a few years ago, we decided to get up early on Christmas morning and go duck hunting.

IMG_0545.JPG

While my husband is the sharper shooter of the two of us, I do more cheerleading and giving the ducks their own "Christmas Miracle" by missing every single one of them that comes near me.  This is also our old hunting dog Diesel's Christmas present.  He's deaf and gets bored really quickly these days, and basically just does what he wants, but enjoys every moment!  Here's a video of him ignoring us as we signaled him to get back in the blind...as you can see we are not his top priority!  And it's no wonder we don't get too many ducks to come in!

But he's does really love the time out in the blind.

IMG_0552.JPG

Either way though it's been a fun tradition and one that we hope to continue with our little guy tomorrow! 

So whatever strange or interesting thing you and your family are up to tomorrow, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

About the Author
Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.