Spring Time at the Farm

Brenda_Frketich
Senior Reader
1 0 1,007

Spring is one of my favorite times of year here at the farm.  Usually because it leads up to my most favorite time which is summer harvest, but also because we can finally start to open the shop doors, let some winter air out of our bones and feel some sun on our face.

French Prairie on a Spring Day.jpg

This is all a "usually" situation, because here in Oregon we don't take the term April Showers bring May flowers very lightly.  Weather is tough to predict here in Oregon and a lot of that has to do with the fact that we are so close to the ocean.  But the good news also is that if we do have a wet spring there are a lot of crops that will benefit, some that won't, but being as diversified as our state is (growing over 250 different crops) it's hard to say that any particular weather is just bad for everything and good for nothing.  As they say, farmers have to be true optimists!

So what do we have coming up out here in Oregon?  Well this spring we have some crops still to plant.  Peas and spring wheat will be planted once the weather turns nicer and a bit dryer.  For the crops that are perennial or were planted this fall however we will start to fertilize to "wake them up" from this past winter.  This includes our hazelnuts, perennial ryegrass, tall fescue and crimsom clover.  Add that to some weed control to keep our broadleaf weeds down in the seed crops, and you have yourself a pretty busy spring time in the near future.

Here is a photo of a perennial ryegrass field that was planted this past fall, eaten down to the ground by slugs, re-planted again right after Thanksgiving and now is finally growing!  We're hoping we can get a crop off this still this summer, Yukon came out to help me take a look to check its progress.

Yukon Checking on Baby Grass.jpg

So like I said, we aren't bored around here for very long once the sun comes out.  But that again is one of the best parts about my job, right about the time you get sick of doing something the season changes and it's on to the next project.

About the Author
Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.