Thank You

Heather_Barnes
Senior Reader
0 0 3,421

thanks.png

The other evening I settled my son down in front of the television so I could do a few things around the house.  Minutes into washing the dishes he ran into the kitchen, grabbed my hand, and pulled me to the living room.

"Not now, baby.  Momma has to finish the dishes."

He turned and ran back to the living room.

A few minutes later I felt a tug.  "I'm not finished son.  I'll come in there in a few minutes."

He turned and left the kitchen again. As I stood there washing a plate, I realized something.  One day my son will not want his mom to watch tv with him.  One day he will have friends and obligations and eventually a family of his own.  One day I will look back and wish he would come pull my hand one more time.

I turned off the water.  I dried my hands.  I went into the living room and sat down in the chair with him. 

Thanksgiving is a time of year where most people pause to give thanks for many things.  As Thursday approaches I have been thinking of the things I am thankful for.  My list included what many probably do:  health, my family, a good crop. 

Sitting with my son, I realized I had so much more to be thankful for and I'm looking at those blessings through his eyes, not mine.  Having him tug my hand made me realize I often get caught up in my "To Do" list.  He showed me with that simple tug that there are things in life I should stop and take time to appreciate. 

With this in mind, I have added a few things to my list for this year: 

Sitting on the side of the field, watching the tractor, with my son in my lap.

Seeing the wonder of the Christmas tree lights reflected in his eyes. 

Watching fish swimming in the aquarium and counting to see how many there are.

Sitting back and savoring a glass of milk.

Most of all, I'm grateful to my son for showing me what's important.  For that I will be eternally grateful.