Bring on the New Year!

MNGobbleGal
Senior Reader
0 0 882

Happy New Year 2015

I'm quite sure I say this every year, but I can't believe it will soon be 2015. In many ways, it's exciting - a new year, a chance to work toward some new goals, and slew of new memories sure to be made. In other ways, it's always just a little sad. Why does time march on so quickly?

As I look ahead to the coming months, I have a few personal goals related to "agvocating" to keep in mind.

• Plan ahead for blog posts, especially to get me through what is always a very busy winter work season. (It's no coincidence that most agriculture conferences for farmers are in the winter!) I know this won't always happen, but I'm going to jot down random ideas when I get them and use a planner to schedule blog posts for both my personal blog and my Agriculture.com blog. For me, it helps to have a calendar that keeps me on track.
  • Create a new blog for the Minnesota Turkey Growers Association on its website. This is something I'm really excited about. I've got the blog infrastructure in place; I just need to organize some volunteer turkey farmer bloggers who are willing to share their day-to-day-stories on the farm. There are very few turkey farmers who have blogs, so I hope this will help people understand more about what they do to raise their birds. And because Minnesota is ranked #1 for turkey production in the U.S., our website serves as a resource for people all over the country. This will be an amazing added communications piece to what we're already doing.
  • I definitely want to blog more turkey recipes on my own personal blog. I'm not one of those cooks who really creates my own recipes (beyond a few minor tweaks here and there) - but I love to cook for my family and I try a lot of different recipes from bloggers, cookbooks, and family favorites. I think there's a real need to share delicious, easy-to-make recipes using a variety of turkey products - it might help a few people realize turkey is more than just a holiday option.

For New Year's Eve, my husband, son and I are headed back to the farm to enjoy a meal and time with my parents, siblings and their families. We find this to be much more our style than a fancy night out - although that can certainly be fun, too! (And apparently, our tendency to stay home on New Year's Even isn't unusual - I just saw a study by Barefoot Wine & Bubbly that 61% of Americans intend to ring in 2015 in the comfort of their own homes.)

I've got the meal all planned out so that I can cook for everyone - deep fried turkey (using my amazing indoor electric turkey fryer), cheesy potato gratin (a recipe from Williams-Sonoma that is so delicious) and broccoli and cauliflower casserole (a new recipe I've never tried before via The Pioneer Woman). Right now, it looks like dessert will be ice cream with my mom's homemade hot fudge sauce. And plenty of champagne to ring in the New Year, of course!

Deep Fried Turkey.jpg

Whatever your New Year's Eve brings - whether it's a quiet evening at home or a festive and sparkly party out on the town - I hope you enjoy the evening and I wish you much happiness, peace and prosperity in 2015.

Thank you so much for reading my blog posts here over the past year, and I look forward to seeing you in the New Year!

Labels