cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

crop photos

DSC03254.JPG

above: a dry spot in a neighbor's field, a common sight in the area this year; 90 degrees and little rain in July will do this

DSC03255.JPG

a picture of our soybeans; most beans around here look pretty good

DSC03257.JPG

our corn; sadly, a common sight in the area this year

DSC03259.JPG

the good, the bad, and the ugly; the ear at right is pretty average for our field this year

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Re: crop photos

Actually the middle ear and the ear on the right are common. The ear on the left was in a sandy spot of the field. It's sad, before I left for vacation the corn around here looked really good but thirsty..... A week later I returned to find corn charred and in some fields looking like they were ready for a combine after the 90 and 100 degree weather and no rain.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Nice looking beans.  Did you get any of that rain Thursday evening?  It looked like it was going on over the lake then the wind changed.  The radar showed a fly speck of red, luckily it hovered over my area for an hour and a half and dumped 1.4" on what I farm.  My prayers were answered.  We were drying out after the 6" the end of July.  My birthday is Sunday and I figure from then to the 24th is about as late in the season rain will do us any good on beans.  There was hail damage as close as mile and a half west.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

My birthday is also on Sunday! Ill be a whopping 28. It would be nice to get an inch of rain on my birthday as we didn't get any of the rain on Thursday. Does the corn your way look as charred as ours?

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Yeah my beans are actually in 30 inch rows. We have had just enough rain here in August that they filled in nicely.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Bsand, a whole 28 huh?   I can almost remember back that far, lol.   No, the corn here isn't charred.  That 6" the end of July greened it up good but whether it produces anything is a good question.  The only good corn is that which was planted early on good well drained ground.  After early May we sat idle until June 3rd.  For some reason more guys are working ground again here so a lot got planted in dry ground then no rain.  Maybe it's because they have new tractors and are practicing recreational tillage. Some corn in the same fields have a 3 foot heught difference.  I won't plant corn after about May 20.  I looked at the beans on my home place yesterday.  Thhe first I planted, on June 3 on about the best ground I farm.  3.0 RR2 beans.  The are so many pods I couldn't believe it.  Really coming along nicely.  They should make an easy 50 bpa.  Last year these fields here went 64 bpa.  I doubt if this area has much over a 40 bpa average, according to my crop insurance guy.  9.4 inches of rain since July 19.  Quite a bit more in the forecast.  Another 2" is all we need or could use.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Does anyone there plant in 15 inch rows or use a drill?

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

We could certainly use some more rain to finish our beans out. We have just been under an umbrella this year... All the rain goes north or south of us. We got a half tenth today. I think we are sitting around 3.5 inches of rain since the 1st of July which doesn't make a great crop..... Could always be worse though! Most soybeans in this area are planted either 30 inch rows or 15 inch rows. Light tillage in soybeans has gotten popular these days. Emergence is better and diseases like SDS seem to be a little less in tilled soybeans. Plus new corn hybrids make tougher residue to notill into. I would say its a 50-50 split between those who till and those who notill beans in this area. You have me talked into the RR2 beans for next year. What variety did you plant this year that has done the best for you... Im assuming you went with a Monsanto/ Asgrow dealer?

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Actually I have better luck with the local elevator's brand of beans.  They yield a little better and are cheaper than a Monsanto brand.  These are bred for our clay soils.  Talk to your seed rep and try various varieties suited for your area.  I even plant different varieties based on what type of clay the field is.  Kind of like tuning the seed to the soil.  Seed technology is changing so fast that a variety might only be a top yielder for a few years so I try 2 or 3 different ones every year.  I do have some Dekalb beans this year as they have a super tall variety I plant on my hardest ground.  I need the height factor to make this ground produce.

On another note:  Have you thought of raising beans only since you are in a drought prone area?

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for sharing the pics, I find this sort of thing to always be interesting.  The little ear you had a picture of, is what we see from time to time here, due to not enough moisture.  What is unusual here, are normal sized cobs, but without nearly enough kernels on them.

0 Kudos